Sunday, March 27, 2011

Breaking New Ground

I grew up watching my parents spend countless hours during the spring and summer tilling, hoeing, planting, watering, weeding, and picking in their garden.  There were always fresh tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, beans, and peas available straight from the garden every summer back home in Broadway.   I would say that I definitely enjoyed the rewards and bounty of the garden without ever putting much into it.  I left that to Mom and Dad, and they seemed to enjoy it.  And over the last ten years of living in numerous apartments or townhouses without much of a yard to call my own, the closest thing I've had to a garden has been a basil plant or two on my deck...

Well, the days of basil plants on the deck are over!  Given that the BVS house has a good size back yard, and that we think it's a great idea to actually eat food that comes right from our very own soil (no pesticides involved, no energy expended on transporting it to the grocery store....what could be better?), we have decided to start a garden.  And when I say start, I do mean start... as in put a garden in where yesterday morning there was a grassy lawn.  Jon and I spent about 4 hours yesterday afternoon digging and moving sod, and wah-lah, a garden was born! 

Now, it is true that our beds are not actually ready for planting yet...there's still a lot of work to do (put a border around the beds and cover them with some more topsoil for starters), but we've broken ground, and that feels good.  I hope that I will still be able to say it feels good after spending many hours in the next few weekends and during the coming months doing all of those things that my parents spent countless hours doing in their garden: the hoeing, planting, watering, weeding, and picking.    We'll have to have a party when we pick our first produce....I have a feeling it will be worth celebrating!
- Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment