Monday, April 18, 2011

We Planted!!


This past Thursday we planted our first things in the gardens. Yay!!! A lot of work has gone into our back yard over the past three weeks. I wish everyone could see a picture of what it looked like before we started working on it – but unfortunately we don’t have one. We now have two raised beds – one with broccoli, peas, spinach, and kale in it and the other with tomatoes, peppers, and chard. Let’s cross our fingers and hope something grows. Heather and I wanted 


to be ambitious and plant flowers as well, so we made a flower bed in front of the house and have revamped what must have been some sort of garden in the backyard – that wasn’t looking so great when we moved in.  We’ve also had the pleasant surprise of a few other flowers springing up here and there in our yard. I’ve actually quite enjoyed working in the yard. I’ve never had to take care of my own yard – and I’ve never had a garden before, but I find myself going out in the yard to work whenever there is a glimpse of sun.  I’m not sure if I’ll like the yard work when the



plants actually start growing and we have to kill slugs that come off the gardens. But I sure do like digging up dirt and moving sticks and rocks lol - and I have spent many hours doing so. The weather this past week put a hiatus on the yard work a little bit, but it looks like there may be a few clearer days coming our way. When people say it rains a lot in Portland – they surly do mean it. So I’m looking forward to some more sunshine to brighten my spirit, to be able to do more work in the yard and to hopefully help sprout some newly sowed seeds. 

                ~Chelsea


ps. sorry for the purple background and the weird spacing - I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment