Monday, January 24, 2011

I'm actually here to blog!

This is our 12th week blogging – and only my 2nd time having to blog- I’m not sure how that happened. Actually… I do know how that happened; I’ve been away for almost half of the time I’ve actually been living in Portland. The traveling has mostly been for work, and then some time for the holidays at home. I’ve had relatively good luck with the traveling as well! (which is unusual for me) with only a couple short flight delays and an eventful trip down to Florida – which consisted of flying down to Florida, staying the day in an airport in Florida and then flying back up to practically the same location that I had left from that same morning.  My most recent trip was last weekend, when I went to Boulder Colorado, for my first Peace Retreat of the year! Overall, I think the retreat went really well – despite the nervousness and butterflies- and a plus was that I got to see sunshine and blue skies!
It’s been a little hard to make Portland feel like home when I’ve been traveling so much, I think mostly b/c I don’t feel as connected to the larger city or with people outside the house and church. And it probably doesn’t help when your house, church and office are all within 50 meters. (Although it’s nice on rainy days and it’s very convenient)  This past week however, I felt more like a Portlander than I think I ever have. Let me tell you! Wed. night we had a young adult get together at Bobbi’s making pizza! I think the one thing that sets our young adult group apart from others is that you know there will always be some kind of food involved, and you know there will be vegetarian and gluten free options available, and these options are often more common.  Thursday night we had a group come over to the house for a Special Response Hearing.  Friday night Jon, Heather and I went to see Portlandia (a new tv show about Portland) at an old theatre downtown. The doors opened 2 hours before the showing and when we got there 2 hr 10 min early, there was already a line wrapped around the building. Lol. Saturday I learned that miracles really do happen – when Portland had blue skies and Sunshine in January!!!  All of us got outside at some point – there was no way that we were going to let such a nice day go by. Ben and I went on an hour bike ride, stopped at a park hike and to see the awesome view of Mount Hood, and then biked back. And Heather and I made a new record with grocery shopping – taking only 1hr 25min – while using public transit!  Sunday, Heather and I went to a pizza place to watch the Steelers and Jets Game- where the Steelers won!! Whoot whoot! (A couple months ago, I wouldn’t have cared-  but my boyfriend is slowly converting me over to be a Steelers fan lol )
Other exciting news – Jon has a new job and car! We’re starting to venture out and meet and hang out with other people outside the house. I found out today that people play ping pong on Mon. and Wed. nights at the local high school – which I’m going to try to check out soon. And! Professional Bull Riding is coming to Portland!! Yay! (the funny thing is that facebook told me this through the ads on the side column- it’s scary how well facebook knows you sometimes)   
I think that’s about it for now- Until the next time I’m in town for my Blogging turn - Peace
                          Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment