Monday, January 3, 2011

Your flight has been...


That's right.  Less than 24 hours before I was set to return back to Portland the call came in that my connecting flight through Newark, NJ and their 20+ inches of snow was no longer happening.  I had been rescheduled for Saturday evening - New Year's Day.  I was supposed to have already returned to Portland by New Year's Eve where I would be attending a Pink Martini concert with Jon, Heather, and some other cool cats.  Those plans were now shot.  There wasn't anything lined up with hometown area friends so I made the most logical choice there was: Go to Pennsylvania.

More specifically, I went to Camp Swatara for the yearly staff reunion and a small New Year's gathering.  Swatara is a bit of a second home for me, similar to Jon's Myrtlewood probably.  There were plenty of friends to see that I wasn't expecting to cross paths with for some time to come - a farm manager, a very faithful blog-following seminarian, a morbidly devout Redskins fan, a wanderlust traveler, a piano-playing program coordinator, a soon-to-be-graduated soprano, an India-bound spirit, and many others.  Once again, I don't know when then next time is that I'll see any of them.  I guess time holds those cards for now.

Yet another bump in the road has turned out well for me.  It would be nice if I could go into all situations knowing that somehow, no matter the outcome, I'll be alright in the end.  It's probably true.  Maybe I enjoy the worrying and anxiety.  Ugh.  Now I'm back on the bumpy journey that is this community house, resettling in as a returned to space for the first time.  As I think about what's to come in the weeks and months ahead I find myself thinking, "Gee, it sure would be nice to know what's coming up next."  Then again, it's good to have the canceled flights that keep us guessing just a little and lead us on unexpected adventures.  I'm just hoping that the next adventure doesn't also try to take me through New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment