Monday, July 11, 2011

Honest Thoughts


While the weather has been gorgeous here in Portland during the last week, there was a bit of a figurative cloud that hung over the first part of the week, and still lingers somewhat.   Most of you reading this will know that the Church of the Brethren’s Annual Conference was this past week, and that one of the issues being discussed was whether the language in the 1983 paper on Human Sexuality would continue to guide the church’s journey together (specifically the language that states that same-sex covenantal relationships are not acceptable).  I wasn’t at Conference, so I can’t speak to most things that transpired there, but it's my understanding that the delegates voted to reaffirm the 1983 paper on Human Sexuality in its entirety.  I guess I can’t say that I’m surprised…but I will say that I’m really disappointed. 

Disappointed for every person I know who is gay or lesbian who may not feel welcome in the Church of the Brethren because the larger church says that their “relationships are not acceptable”, disappointed that more people don’t see this as an issue of human justice and equality, and disappointed that there aren’t more churches in the denomination that follow the example of Peace Church, an open and affirming congregation that “celebrates and affirms the image of God in all people…every age, gender, race, ability, ethnicity, and sexual orientation.”

I have good friends who are gay, I have had teachers who are gay, and I know quite a few people that I greatly admire and respect who are gay, and I am a better person for having each one of these people in my life.  I don’t believe that being gay or lesbian is a sin, but rather just the way a person is made. And I don't see how being in a loving committed relationship with another person is a bad thing.  My God is greater and more dynamic than some verses that were written 2000 years ago that are often taken out of context.  The God that inspired men of long ago, may work in me in different ways, and that is ok.  I can’t ignore what God inspires in me, and that is that we are all created equal in the eyes of God, black and white, male and female, heterosexual and homosexual.  

I will close by saying that I am grateful for all of those people, although they may have been in the minority, who spoke as a more progressive voice in the Church of the Brethren calling for change.  I am grateful to be a part of a church congregation here at Peace Church where people are affirmed and welcomed just as they are.  And I am hopeful that the voices speaking out for justice and fairness don’t fade, but only grow stronger. 
-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment