Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tales from transit

I've been working my summer gig for a little over three weeks now.  The work has been good and I've enjoyed getting to know the kids that show up for the drop-in program.  It certainly is a program that I feel is a major asset for that community.  One of the slight drawbacks has been the commute four days each week to Vancouver.


No, not British Columbia - Vancouver, Washington.  Just like Covington was the little sister city to Cincinnati across the Ohio River, Vancouver is the equivalent for Portland.  While is doesn't have quite the feel and quirk of Portland it's still a nice town.  Unfortunately, it takes more than an hour just to get across the Columbia River into "The Couve".  All in all, the commute each way generally takes close to, if not more than, two hours.  This includes four transfers to five different vehicles - one Tri-Met bus, two MAX lines, and two more C-TRAN buses.

When I tell someone how long it takes for me to get to work there's generally some sort of sympathetic grimace involved.  Truth be told, I actually don't mind it that much.  It would be nice if I could get a few more things done in the morning before heading out or if I could be home an hour or two earlier for the sake of supper, but the time transporting myself on public transit isn't really all that bad.  I don't think I spend more than half an hour on any one segment of the trip so it's not like I'm sitting there getting bored.  I enjoy the people watching.  If you've ever ridden public transit you probably know that some of the best people watching ever exists on buses and light rail trains.

Woefully, getting to and from work isn't always that simple.  With so many transfers it only takes one late or missed bus or train to put you back 20 minutes on your schedule.  Here are a few stories from what I've encountered in the first few weeks:

-  It's my first day of work and I'm going in to meet with Human Resources to fill out paperwork and that kind of fun stuff.  I leave with more than two hours for getting there.  On the very first bus, though, there's a detour right before the MAX station.  We can't get to the station because someone was decapitated by the train earlier that morning.  It turns out that some guy strung out on meth leaned back into the tracks while the train was coming up to the platform.  The train was still sitting at the boarding area.  A few people said they guy's head was still under there.  I had to walk a mile to the next MAX stop so I could take a bus to the closest transit center where the trains were still running.  I'm very glad Human Resources was so understanding.

-  The first week continued to impress later when I was waiting for the C-TRAN bus to take me into Vancouver from the MAX station.  The bus was late.  The bus, I have learned, is often late.  This time the bus was late because there had been a fight in the entry way of the bus.  We had to board through the back door because there was too much blood in the front.  Then we had to switch out buses so the first one could be cleaned.

-  I think it was the same day that on the way home I got another show while boarding my final bus.  The entire bus got to watch someone actively trying to run over another person.  In the gas station parking lot.  IN REVERSE.  I mean, we're talking pedal-to-the-metal, run-for-your-life kind of attempted run over.  Insane.

-  The second week one of the C-TRAN buses was delayed because of a fire.  No, it wasn't on the bus.  Someone hadn't put out their cigarette before leaving it on the ground and the mulch at the bus stop was beginning to smolder.  So, our 60-something year old bus driver narrated for us while she figured out how to use the fire extinguisher and doused the poo out of that itty bitty fire hazard.  I felt pretty sure that she got it put out.

-  This past week the first bus was a little bit late one day.  The reason: the Special Olympics Torch Run was going down good ol' 122nd Street.  Of COURSE it was.

There have been plenty of other fun/interesting/legally questionable stories I've encountered in the first three weeks but this will have to do for now.  So, next time you're frustrated with a long drive somewhere, count your blessings if your route doesn't include a draw bridge (guess whose does...).

No comments:

Post a Comment